These days, when it comes to doing website optimization, we have access to a whole library of tools, apps, plugins, and services. There's really no reason to go stabbing around in the dark or wasting time and money hiring a marketer to optimize your site for you, when you can find the right tool and do it yourself.
So, to help you cut through the noise and clutter, in this post, I've outlined 12 of the most valuable website optimization tools that I think you should check out. Some of these tools are free while some are paid for (premium).
I've used every single one of these tools over the years, and I know that probably doesn't mean much to you, so all I will say is this: I trust them and so do many other marketers.
So, if there's something here that you need to get your hands on, perhaps a tool to help you grow your website and reach your goals, go ahead and check it out.
Let's get started.
Website Performance Optimization Tools
Website performance is very important, especially from a user experience (UX), and conversion point of view. Slow loading pages, in fact, a slow website altogether will not do your business any favors.
Here are three tools I've used over the years and recommend learning more about.
- Google Search Console - For website diagnostics, search engine performance issues, recommended improvements. I think every website owner should have a Google Search Console account.
- Pingdom - The ideal tool for checking on how fast your website takes to load.
- GTMetrix - Another popular tool for testing page speed, but you get access to a lot more data.
Website Conversion Optimization Tools/Plugins
Here's a quote that I use almost every time -
Most websites don't have a traffic problem, but almost every website has a conversion problemBryan Eisenberg
Once again, there's no need to second guess what your visitors are doing on your site because we have some amazing tools to help with user-tracking.
Here are some tools I recommend you take a look at -
- CrazyEgg - Simple and affordable tool to help you track your customer's journey through your website pages. You can also create simple A/B split tests, and more. This is the tool I use for my business as well as my client's websites.
- Google Analytics - Who on earth doesn't use Google Analytics?
- HotJar - Another popular user-tracking tool that allows you to record visitor activity on your site through heatmaps and click maps. Like CrazyEgg, you can also create polls and surveys.
- Thrive Architect/Optimize (WordPress Plugin) - Thrive Architect is a powerful drag-and-drop landing page building tool/plugin for WordPress, which I've used for many years. Thrive Optimize is an add-on tool for Thrive Architect to help you create variations of your landing pages for simple A/B split testing, complete with conversion reports, and more.
- Thrive Leads Plugin - A powerful and complete, conversion focused list building plugin for WordPress.
Website Design Optimization Tools
Designing a great looking website is all well and good. But as well as having a great looking website, your website needs to perform well on all devices.
Check out these recommended design optimization tools -
- Mobile-Friendly Test - A simple tool to help you test the URL or Code for your responsive website. Check to ensure your visitors can access your site on a mobile device.
- PageSpeed Insight Score - Page speed is crucial, for the logical reasons I mentioned earlier. In addition, when you're designing a website, you can easily get carried away with adding new features, building blocks, and adding fancy design elements, and forgetting that the more you add, the more stress you put on your web page loading time. This tool is useful for checking you stay within your parameters.
Website SEO Tools/Plugins
Finally, we get to a nice list of search engine optimization tools (SEO tools). Again, there's no need to pull your hair out with on-page SEO, or even hire an SEO expert to optimize your site for you. For the most part, you can do all of those things yourself.
Below is a small list of recommended search optimization and search engine performance tracking tools -
- Yoast SEO Plugin - Ultimately, the best free SEO plugin for WordPress. I use this plugin on so many personal and client websites. Yoast SEO is used on over 5 million WordPress sites.
- SEOPressor Connect Plugin - A powerful premium alternative to Yoast SEO. SEOPressor comes with a host of on-page options, including a broken link checker, website auditing tools, over-optimization tool, and ability to optimize for multiple keywords.
- Unamo - Simple and affordable tool for tracking your keyword performance in the search engines, as well as your competitors.
- Long Tail Pro (Keyword Research Tool) - A powerful and super useful tool for finding and analyzing profitable and high-traffic target keywords for your blog posts, landing page copy, and more.
It's A Wrap!
So, there you have it. A nice list of useful tools to get you started with your website optimization strategy. Of course, you will not need to go out and get all of these tools, you only need to use a few and make them really work for your website and business.
If there's a particular tool that you are using that you think deserves a mention on this list, please feel free to submit it to me for review here.
Now, go and optimize your website, the very best of luck.